In this tutorial, I’m going to show you how to dual boot Kali Linux and Windows 10 on UEFI mode or UEFI firmware.
I will show you how to dual boot Kali Linux and Windows 10 on UEFI but you can use this tutorial to successfully dual boot any other OS on UEFI firmware.
Why dual boot Kali Linux and Windows 10
Old vs new method WPS WPA tester wifi hack Interesting read maybe.
- Both OS get to use full available resources without any kind of compromise.
- You can enjoy the advantages of both the OS has to provide.
You can also test Kali Linux before installing: (Refer to this guide)Test Kali Linux before installing
What you will need:
Compress files online before downloading to your computer You might wanna read.
- USB at least 8 GB
- Download Kali Linux ISO file according to your architecture here
- Rufus download here
- At least 20 GB disk space recommended
- 30 minutes of your time
Before starting to follow this tutorial make sure to shrink disk space for Kali Linux installation. (to do so follow this guide)https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg309169.aspx
How to dual boot Kali Linux and Windows 10 on UEFI
How to connect to WI-FI without any password You might be interested.
- Step 1: Download Kali Linux ISO file according to your architecture and Rufus from above-provided links.
- Step 2: Burn the recently downloaded ISO file to the USB disk using Rufus refer to this guide(from step 3 to step 6)
- Step 3: Reboot into your bios and disable the secure boot option.
- Step 4: Keep the USB plugged in and reboot into the boot menu and select the option which says your USB name or USB in its name.
Don’t worry you will get it in a couple of tries if you didn’t get it on the first try.
- Step 5: Goto start installer or graphical install whichever is available then press enter. And real journey on how to dual boot Kali Linux and Windows 10 on UEFI starts.
- Step 6: Installer will prompt you to select a preferred language do it and press enter. Again select your location and keyboard configuration similarly and continue.
Configuring the network
- Step 7: Sometimes the error can occur regarding non-free firmware files if this happens no worries I got you covered. (refer to this guide)How to provide non-free firmware files to Kali Linux installer If the installer takes you to network configuration directly you can skip this step.
- Step 8: Now you will be prompted with two options select the one which says wireless. If you can access the internet via wifi then select your wifi AP and press enter. In the next window select type of security wifi, AP is implementing and enter your password when prompted press continue.
Else select ethernet option if you prefer to use a wired connection.
- Step 9: Now installation wizard will prompt you to for hostname enter any name you want press enter. And it will prompt you to enter a root password. Enter a strong password and then press enter.
- Step 10: In this step, you need to partition the disk for the installation of your new os, select manual. Select the free space you created earlier and select ” Automatically partition the free space ”. And press enter and in next step select all files in one partition option and press enter.
- Step 11: Scroll down to ” Finish Partitioning and Write Changes to Disk ” press enter and select yes and press enter.
- Step 12: Now the installation will start and after a while, it will prompt you with a “Use network mirror?” message choose yes and press enter.
Finalizing the installation
- Step 13: Finally it will ask for grub installation select yes and choose your hard disk as install location not USB. make sure to select the hard disk for installation.
Once the installation is complete you can dual boot Kali Linux and Windows 10 on UEFI bios by utilizing the grub bootloader.
- Step 14: Installation completed prompt will show up in a while then click continue and your system will reboot.
- Step 15: During starting up grub will ask you to select between windows and Kali Linux select Kali Linux and press enter first boot will take some time. Now login and feel the power of Kali Linux.
Finally, Kali Linux and Windows 10 dual boot on UEFI tutorial end here.
Hope this post was useful. If you got any issues or are unclear about any step then you may leave a comment down below.
I will do my best to be of help, Thank you.
Have a good day.